Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Arrrteest, The Jewish Pirate and Other Stories

AVAST! Ahoy there, and welcome to my blog. This is my attempt at testing the waters in the great blogosphere.

By the way, I'm not a real pirate, or even a pirate enthusiast (well, at least on the surface), but there have been several events that have randomly shaped the idea of "pirateness" associated with my screen name, email, and therefore, this blog entry.

First off, my email address begins with "arrrteest." The reason being that when I typed in "artist" to open an account, it was taken. I had tried several variations of the spelling or word combinations to no avail. At the same time, I heard a segment on NPR's All things Considered on International Talk Like a Pirate Day, narrated by Robert Siegel (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1435309).
Hence the name arrrteest.

Then there is the almighty Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM). The FSM has been showing its noodly appendage a lot lately in the press and has attained cult status in pop culture. It is stated in a passage from Wikipedia:
According to the Pastafarian belief system, pirates are
"absolute divine beings" and the original Pastafarians.

More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Pastafarians also celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day on September 19.

There were a few other pirate connections that popped up in my mind when I began writing this, but as is so often the case, the impulse to create has been about as short as my capacity for short term memory.

And then, I found out that there were even Jewish Pirates! Apparently hitting the high seas to escape the Inquisition in Spain, Jean Lafitte's family came to the Carribean, where he took on the profession.
Well, in the immortal words of the imfamous Jewish Pirate Shmuel ben Schwartzbord the Balmalocha, "Arrrr, az di bobe volt gehat beytsim volt zi geven mayn zeyde!" (If my grandmother had testicles, she'd be my grandfather!")
Oy vey!

No comments: