Monday, June 15, 2009

Thinking of Iran and China

I remember Tienanmen Square.
I remember the video that so hauntingly shows the single man in front of the tank.
I remember the sinking feeling of doom and the disintegration of hope in the spark of Democracy.
I think of Iran.
And the random man felled by a pro-government projectile.
And the smiling leader who feigns fortitude and normalcy.
The world watches as it flinches from the memory of that sinking feeling.

And from the freedom of my home, it is with bittersweet brotherhood I write these thoughts for all to see, knowing that in the very places where support might most be appreciated, it would also most likely be blocked.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I, too, have those memories, but could never have written of them so beautifully.

Anonymous said...

I'm all teary now, it breaks my heart...