Sunday, May 11, 2008

Appreciating a milestone

I have been very busy the last week, and after teaching family life for a week, nothing else seems to rise to the level of interesting at the moment.
So I will take a moment to slow down and appreciate something that should not go unnoticed:
Tonight (and this was not the first time), my son read to me a bedtime story. I mention this because somewhere we have transitioned to the point in what I think is one of the other miracles of life: the ability to read. As I listened to him read Green Eggs and Ham, one of his favorites to read, he stopped to show me the pictures and to fill in some background and commentary of what is going on. He was doing some of what I do when I read to him and it is interesting to see him interpret what he is reading.
Each afternoon and/or morning before school, I have him read to me a leveled book from his kindergarten teacher. He is reading above grade level and it is really cool to see him read unfamiliar words and sound them out and think about what they say and mean. You can really see the gears turning.
Those gears are turning a lot easier lately.
It's a beautiful process to watch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds really amazing, what a special time in his life (of course they all are, but you know what I mean!!)