Saturday, April 4, 2009

Noodles, The Googling Cat

I am always amused, as is our generation, of the amazing technical prowess of kids these days. After all, I remember how cool it was as we stuck in the cassette tape to boot up our Commodore 64's in computer class in high school and how cutting edge it was for us to be programming in Basic code to make a number appear on the screen when we input a set of data. Now, if I have any problems with the computer (or the DVD remote, for that matter) all I have to do is ask my daughter or son, who have already figured it all out. It just amazes me to think that somewhere around my son's age, my dad brought home the latest and best Texas Instruments digital calculator with its bulky (by today's standards) hull and bright red digital readout. I remember playing with it doing all sorts of unnecessary calculations just to see it work. The first Macintoshes were years off and the verb or notion to google something was even further away and if I wanted to learn about something, I still had to open up the set of Encyclopaedia Britannica on our bookshelf to get some insight. Now my daughter sifts through the information with a few keystrokes to decide what to put in a report about Tasmania or I find an audio presentation about the Cyclops Polyphemus being outsmarted by Odysseus when my son says that "Nobody did it."

So to my surprise this morning, I found out that Noodles the cat has entered the information age! I left my laptop open on the table when I left this morning to take my daughter to horseback lessons. When I got back, there was Noodles sitting there beside the laptop as if I had just interrupted her from doing nothing. I knew she was sitting at, or more correctly on, the computer because I had to blow away some of her fur off the keyboard and screen. What I didn't know was that I must have caught her in the act of googling some information. I could see it in her eyes as they said, "Curses, foiled again. Oh look, a fly!"

When I looked at the computer, the Google page was up and the settings were somewhat altered, and on the search bar there was something typed in. At first it looked like just random keystrokes, but then I thought I'd check out what Noodles was "looking for."

Apparently, Noodles was looking for information regarding the cohesion of uniformity of soil (I guess for some plot to make a great escape out into the Outerworld). In the search bar I found the following:
"?(I9okn

Which was specific enough to bring up a few entries, one being about the aforementioned topic and others of undecipherable babble.

Who knew?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, you know I had to do it!! I actually googled "?(I0okn ! Very interesting report about the building of a university in Nigeria and its impact on the environment! Thank Noodles for me.