Monday, March 3, 2008

So I'm Not a What?

We were rolling merrily along tonight when my 8 1/2 yr old daughter announced something that caught me a bit off guard:
"So Dad, you are not a virgin!"
"A what?"
"A virgin, you know, 'cause your an adult?"
"What did you say? A version? A version of what?"
"Not a version, a virgin."
"A virgin? Huh? What's that?"
"A virgin, you know, is someone who is under 18; not an adult."
"What is it that makes them an adult or not a virgin?"
"OK, maybe it is younger, like 13 or a teenager, but not an adult."
"So all adults are not virgins?"(no response to that question)
"Where did you learn about what a virgin is?"
"I heard it at a party. Some girls were talking about some inappropriate things and they were saying who was a virgin and who wasn't."
"So that is how you know I am not a virgin? Who was talking about this? Did they talk to you about it?"
"No, they were talking about it and we all told them to stop, but they just went into another room to talk about it."
"Did they call you a virgin?"
"I'm not an adult!"
"Really?"

"Yes, really."
"Oh, hmmmm. Interesting"

I didn't explain what the word meant. I was a little shocked and amused at the same time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That totally cracks me up, what a funny story! It reminds me of when my brother (who was 6 or 7) heard the word "prostitute" on TV and asked my dad what it meant...so my dad said it was a girl who gets paid to be a man's girlfriend. I remember thinking something like hey that doesn't sound like such a bad deal! And after we spread the word I'm sure a bunch of neighborhood parents were having funny conversations with their kids about prostitutes...

hey you asked about how I do my illustrations, it kind of depends but usually I draw it all out in illustrator and then take it to photoshop and add the texture with some brushes I made...once in a while though I scan in a sketch and color it in photoshop.

Arrrteest said...

digital Scott...and what a moment!

Senta....hillarious! And that reminds me of... when my daugter was just learning to talk, she pronounced any word begining with a "t" as an "f." And she would get really excited when she saw fire trucks! "Mommy, Daddy, look, it's a ..."

Hugh Behm-Steinberg said...

You should have sent her to Catholic school!

Anonymous said...

Oy!! reminds me when my childs father explained patiently but in basic terms the facts of life to him. Child turns to father and asks him if he had ever had sex. was reminded that that was what created him...kid thought for a second (he was 6) and said "Abba I am very disappointed that you did that". Thankfully he didnt realise who his father did THAT with - oy vey!!!