Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Serendipty

The word serendipity has come up quite a few times this trip, to be sure. Wikipedia mentions that "Serendipity is the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely."
Michael and I found it several times on our trip up to Scotland, from the Botanical Gardens, Rumbling Bridge - and even the very local pub in Glasgow. While a trip like this takes quite a bit of planning, it seems that it is the serendipitous finds that seem to be the most fun.

In another example of this is that while I am here in the UK to do some research for the story I am writing, one of my hosts in York happens to be an archaeologist and has a number of books that are exactly what I am looking for! I have such titles as The Making of the English Landscape, The History of the Countryside the classic history of Britain's landscape, flora and fauna, Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, and The Place-Names of Roman Britain.
Perfect!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh good, glad you mentioned about your research, since this is the ONLY reason why I agreed to this trip again - what was it again, oh yes, RESEARCH for the Book. Wink and smile to ya.