Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tintagel to Bradford-on-Avon

I got an early start from Truro with Stella fixing me a cup of tea and some toast. I was headed up to Tintagel to see the remains of the alleged castle that King Arthur was born in. More on that later.

I stopped in a few towns whilst in Cornwall (the British like the word whilst) to have a look around. They were fairly much carbon copies of each other, so I didn't stay too long. Quaint, yes. Different, no.

Now the village of Tintagel exists for no other reason other than to support an artificial King Arthur cheesy tourist industry. Quaint, yes. Different, no.



Do I sound like I'm getting an attitude? No, not me.


Anyway, the hike to Tintagel castle was worth it in the long run. There were spectacular views from the cliffs all around. Oh, and the castle ruins were pretty cool too.

The trail started with a sign that offered Land Rover shuttles down to the base of the cliffs where the climb up to the castle begins. At a touch over $3.50 each way, I snickered at all of able bodied folks who were on line waiting. But let me tell you, on the way back I gave it a second thought. I was wiped out when I got back to my car.
From there I headed back to Bath and after there was a "house meeting" for all of the residents of the place I was staying, Erich and Angelo (who gave up his room for me and is a couchsurfer himself) stayed out and went to Bradford-on-Avon and hung out. It was late at night and raining and everything was closed down. Last call was given and we watched the show of drunks stumble about. We started talking to some Bangladeshi guys who were closing up shop outside of their restaurant and one of them offered us some kind of crispy flat chip like food. I can't remember what it was called, but it was a nice gesture. We ate it while trying to avoid getting wet. We had fun walking around the town in the rain as it was virtually deserted. One might of thought we were drunk ourselves as we carried on along the empty storefronts and back alleys. I took some pics that came out cool and and Erich, who was a bit manic seemed like a ghost beginning to manifest itself in this plane.

No comments: