Saturday, July 26, 2008

To Truro -- for real!

I couldn't sleep last night because Bath, for some reason, is inundated with seagulls that laugh like a schoolyard full of drunk children, if you can imagine that. I thought birds go to sleep at night, but these creatures seem to fly around and carry on at all times in the night.
I got up at 8 and headed out towards Truro, with one eye towards Cheddar and another one on Glastonbury. I still have some sites in Cheddar to see on the ticket I bought, but Glastonbury won out in the end. I walked around the ruined abbey where some poor monks ran a successful PR campaign and has anointed it the burial place for King Arthur and Queen Guinevere, turning it into a pilgrimage spot for the Arthur crowd. I then walked through as much of the town that my allotted 1 hour parking slip allowed. Glastonbury is full of tourists and resident hippies, goths and occult minded free spirits.
After that, I spent about 6 hours in 2 major traffic jams on the M5. One 25 mile stretch took 2 hrs to get through. Unfortunately, there were no viable workarounds.
I eventually made it to my hosts place. Stella packed a meal for a barbeque with some friends of hers. We went to a place along the beach and had kabobs, wine/beer, and other foods.


Afterwards, we went to Helston, where her friends lived, and went to a pub called the Blue Anchor Inn, which has been around in one form or another for a long time, but became a tavern in the 1500's. Thorold proudly showed me the place and bought me a beer brewed there called Spingo.

No comments: