Monday, June 2, 2008

Hell With a Makeover and Customer Service Training is Still HELL

The dreaded MVA.
The Motor Vehicle Administration office is a place that the thought of visiting can send your brain into shutdown mode. It's an exercise in frustration. It's an endurance test. It's a classic hurry up and wait event.
Imagine if Hell had trained all of their minions in the art of good customer service, would it change anything?
I had to go today to take care of some business that I had to get done as soon as possible. The only window I had was possibly during my lunch break and it should have been a simple task: I had to get a duplicate car registration copy. No biggie, right?
I was impressed with the new facility -- I only had to drive 5 minutes away from work as opposed to an hour away as before. They had several lines for information with friendly and efficient help and lots of windows open with pleasant representatives. The place was clean and had good signage and many displays that showed what number was being served and arrows helping you find the right direction.
I got on line with about 15 people in front of me and got to the information desk in about 7 minutes. Not too bad.
I was given a form to fill out and was told to come right back without getting back in line. Cool.
My number was D175. They were on D130 and E80 and some other lettered series. There was no way I was going to get back in time to pick up my students from recess. I kinda figured that would be the case, but I am quite the optimist. After about 15 minutes I realized that in that time period, only 2 numbers were called in my series. I went back to one of the info people and told them that I had to get back to my class and wondered out loud if there was anything that could be done to help me out. She said she didn't think so, but to, "not let her word be the last one on this subject." She said I should go and talk to the supervisor. Wow.
I waited on line for the supervisor and explained my situation. She took my slip with the number on it and glanced at the display with D134 on it now and looked at me. "I am very sorry you have had to wait for so long. Is there any way you can get back here before 4:30 today? Or even tomorrow?" I said I could probably make it there after school let out. She said that was great and wrote "No Wait" along with her name on the numbered ticket. She said that I wouldn't have to wait in a new line and to just come in. Cool, again! I had hope that I could come back and sail through.
Upon return at 3:45, I showed my D175 ticket to a surprised information person and was again pointed to a supervisor, waited about 15 minutes in line to see, and who after some explaining sent me to an open window. I was happy because the MVA was PACKED with people!
I sat down and gave the clerk my info and she pulled it up. And this is where the beautiful facade began to crumble:
"Uh, this is strange."
"Strange? What?"
"Your registration is not coming up on the computer. Do you actually have a car?"
"Yes, of course. I am actually turning it in now to the dealer and I need a duplicate copy of the registration. I must have thrown it out when cleaning the car."
"That's interesting, because the system says you don't have a car. In fact, it says you have an insurance violation?"
"What?"
"Do you have an '89 Honda?"
"What? '89? I sold that car in the mid 90's. Something like 15 years ago. Why?"
"Well the system won't let you do anything until . . ." She didn't finish that thought, which just sent a cascade of stress through my body.
"That's crazy! When that issue came up, it was dealt with. And it the problem was on your end, not mine. I've must have registered a half dozen cars since then." [really]
So much for getting in and out quickly.
She pleasantly got up to look for a supervisor. The one on duty passed the buck saying that since he didn't handle me he wasn't getting involved. I had to wait until the one I dealt with first came back from her break.
"Please wait nearby until she gets back from her break. She should be back in 10 minutes." I stood nearby within view as 4 people were helped. (remember the 2 people/15 minute pace I mentioned before?) At 4:30 a police officer announced loudly to the whole room that the office is now closed, the front doors will be locked and that you need to leave through the side doors.
(immediate panic)
He then after a pause said that everyone who is inside already will be served. (panic reduced, but not alleviated)
I glanced at the clerk who indicated the supervisor had not returned yet. After yet another person was finished, she said that the supervisor was back, but will come after she finishes with the customer she was now working with. After the clerk finished with the next person, she told me to visit the supervisor 5 windows down.
To make a long story slightly shorter, the supervisor fixed the problem, the clerk processed everything I had (I had a few other things to process) and I was out the door by 5:40ish. Almost 2 hours, not counting the initial visit. On the way out, I counted the number of people who were still waiting to be served. There were about 30 people still waiting.

Bureaucratic systems can be hell. Murphy's Law at work?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a nightmare...there is a show called "Reaper" and in it, the DMV is the door to hell, so when Satan's helper picks up a renegade soul, he just drops it off there :) That pretty much sums up what it feels like in real life!