Sunday, June 8, 2008

Ooops moments in adult supervision

A fellow blogger (Treppenwitz) wrote an intersting post about letting his son acquire an almost innocuous looking interesting book and finding out later that there was a definite reason why he took a keen interest in reading it. It is called "Questionable moments in parenting." I think it is something many of us with kids may have experienced at some time. You know, perhaps not the best situation at the time, but laughable later.
Anyway, while I was reading it, I had a flashback of a similar time, but this was not with my kids:

When I was a first year teacher (fourth grade) I thought what a great opportunity for me to take all of my back issues of TIME, Smithsonian, National Geographic, Photograpy, and Art in America, for the kids to use for cut and paste activities in the classroom. All was going just fine until one day I noticed a few boys gathered around an Art in America they seemed a bit overly interested in. At first, I was thinking, "Oh, great, they are taking an interest in art!" Wrong.

What I had discovered was what you probably have realized by now. What is acceptable in the name of Art? The Naked Body. Let me specify: The Nake Female Body! Oh boy! I contained the damage, distracted the boys and confiscated that and every issue of the magazine and luckily never heard anything about it. I was worried for a while that it would come back and I'd have to explain. After all, the family life course I would later come to teach wasn't until fifth grade.

No comments: