Monday, June 23, 2008

What to do?

10 years ago, when Jaime and I traveled across Europe for almost 10 weeks I did something that even today I don't know what possessed me: I kept a travel journal. I never kept a journal, nor have I ever kept to anything that demanded as much consistent attention and discipline as what I created. And as a result, I came away with probably the single most important and valuable artifact from our trip. Because I wrote everything down as I did with the details of what we experienced, I remember a lot of what we did. Jaime often comments that she doesn't remember what I bring up, which is unusual because she never forgets anything [especially when it comes to something I've done], especially with dates and who people are in relation to one another (don't get into an argument over when a song came out in the 80's, let alone any other time) Anyway, the journal has everything, from a synopsis of each experience, tickets for admissions or travel, receipts for food and souvenirs, drawings of people and places, and messages from the people we encountered just to name a few. I even have a 2 page spread of the different labels of bottled water we drank.
I also did this last year when I traveled to England and Holland.
So, this upcoming trip (we leave in 2 days from this post!), I have been wondering what to do. I went out and bought a laptop and a special backpack for it because last year I brought a PDA and a keyboard to do some writing for the book I am writing, which just did not work. The PDA was small and light enough that I could take it anywhere with no problems, but I just couldn't see enough of a screen to make it worth while - especially when you have to contend with over 100+ pages of solid text to read and edit. The laptop should take care of this, but at an obvious price: size and weight.
So, back to the journal idea. I thought that I would use the laptop and its ease at downloading digital pics to create an online journal. Jaime asked if I was going to keep a book journal. I think there is something to be said about having it right in front of you that makes it more real and immediate and intimate. Besides, it is easier to customize. I don't know.
Maybe I'll do both.
Any thoughts out there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a tough one...a digital journal is so much more convenient in some ways, but so is a hard copy one in other ways. Maybe you should do a little of both? I wish I had kept a travel journal when the hubs and I went to the UK last year! It would be something to treasure for sure. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time, it sounds like it will be a summer of a lifetime for all of you!

cruisin-mom said...

A friend of mine writes daily, detailed emails to everyone at home when she travels...and then turns it into a "journal" of her trip.