Thursday, June 19, 2008

Up Next: A big trip

You know that feeling that when you get home from a vacation and then you need vacation? Well it is kinda like that now, but before we leave. We've been planning it since the beginning of the year and now it is almost upon us. Our house is becoming a huge staging area: large suitcases in one area, electric gadgets in another, reading materials on a chair along with gifts or requested items, clothes to be packed and clothes to be thrown away (this has been a good opportunity for me to go through what I have and purge my wardrobe). There's a lot more to be done, but I feel like it is a hurry up and wait sort of thing. Nerves are a bit testy at times.
By the way, we are going as a family to Israel and then I am leaving a few days before them to go to the UK for a solo trip to do [some] research for a novel I am working on.

People have said that we're crazy going at this time, with the economy where it is, gas so expensive and the dollar in such bad shape. In most cases looking back, I'd say yes, but we've done pretty good for ourselves. I've talked before about Couchsurfing -- an amazing project/organization that is about connecting with travelers and hosts all around the world. You can arrange to stay/host people where the only currency exchanged is friendship, new experiences and hopefully a better appreciation for each other. This trip we have managed to arrange to stay with folks for almost the whole trip: with family, friends, and couchsurfing hosts. I will spend one night in a hotel when I arrive late into the UK in the middle of my trip. And the big coup d-Etat was Jaime arranging to swap cars with someone in Israel!
I gotta end this post now--just thought of another thing I need to do right away!

3 comments:

cruisin-mom said...

How exciting for you and Jaime and the kids. Didn't know you guys were going. I know so many people going to Israel right now. Hope it is a wonderful trip.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, vacation after a vacation. Not a bad idea. Guess when you get back from England, it will be my turn to head off by myself for 2weeks. : )

kiki said...

couchsurfing is the greatest way to travel

you will love it. it's the best way to see a city because you get a locals perspective, none of this lonely planet crap

i've travelled 4 continents on couchsurfing and i couldn't have done it without it!