Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Random Cool Moment

I used to sometimes carry a lighter around with me even though I didn't smoke, just so I could be that guy who could whip it out and light someone's cigarette. I don't really know why; it wasn't to pick up women or anything like that. It was just cool in some way. It would be the same if someone needed a pen, a dime, pocket knife, or some other random item of immediate need.

Well today the coolest random need came up and I was there to help out:


I was in Baltimore at the Honfest, a quirky neighborhood festival that is full of beehive hairdos, blue eyeshadow, lots of Spandex and leopard prints, artists and musicians.



As we ambled our way to one of the musical stages, a band was getting ready to play. One of the guitarists called out to the audience and asked, "Is there anybody out there who has a guitar pick? It has to be a heavy guitar pick." Well wouldn't you know it --I happened to slip one into my pocket before leaving home because we were going to have band practice. I reached into my pocket and handed it to the appreciative musician. He then used it to play.
How random is that?

That was much cooler than lighting someone's cigarette.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish my neighborhood had festivals like that, looks fun!

cruisin-mom said...

what a riot. I had a friend in high school who carried "the kitchen sink" in her purse...I remember being out somewhere, needing a spoon, and sure enough...!

Arrrteest said...

The next level of cool moments would have been if he said, "and we need the guitarist to go with the pick, too!"
That would be the ultimate cool moment!

emily said...

we use the same pick!